Longstanding Brampton & Etobiocoke District Cricket League (BEDCL) President Priam Persaud has outlined some exciting developments that are in the pipeline for 2020 implementation. The following are the highlights of the exciting news for cricket and all cricketers in Brampton & Etobicoke as 2020 and beyond:
1) Natural Turf Pitches will be on Batsman Park, Teramato Park & Andrew McCandlees Turf Park – the current Artificial will remain and some will have either a Four (4) Inlay or Five (5) where possible and can be accommodated. Some will have these on either side of the Existing Artificial or a combination of 2 & 2 or 3 on one side etc. – as determined by the current size of the field and other parameters. The current artificial will either be part of the ‘rotation’ and/or be used in the event of rain affected days (if required). Excavation for the Natural Turf Inlays will begin before winter – weather permitting.
2) In the next 2 to 3 years there is the possibility of Four (4) additional LIGHTED facilities in the City of Brampton – a staggering improvement and commitment to taking our City to that level of being the LEADING City for Cricket for Infrastructure Development & Growth.
3) All the necessary equipment for the Outfields (rolling & cutting) and the Turf Pitch maintenance (Rolling & Cutting Shaving) and all other required machinery for Cricket Field maintenance will be arriving and be available for the start of the 2020 Season.
4) The City will be having two (2) dedicated Trailer Trucks equipped with all required machinery & equipment for field maintenance. These will be allocated – One (1) for the EAST & One (1) for the WEST and will be dedicated exclusively for Cricket Field Maintenance – five (5) days per week.
5) ALL Side Screens will be REDONE (REMODELLED) to a New Design & Pattern that will address such requirements as – being at the RIGHT HEIGHT & WITDH – and will be factoring the Positioning of both the Natural & Artificial Turf pitches.
6) There will be Special Covers for the Natural Turf Facilities.7) There will be a HAND Held / Propelled ROLLERS of a required & manageable weight – that can be utilized by the players for game day preparation in between innings and games.8) There will be Storage facilities built at the Natural Turf Facilities to house all required ground maintenance equipment that can be utilized by the teams.
Persaud indicated that it has been a long and tough road for the BEDCL to get to its current far more advantageous state of affairs, but cricket has now finally received its due recognition (as a Main Stream Sport) in the City and the League is finally getting the type of facilities that are required to play the game in its true and natural form. He suggested that the forthcoming developments will enable the League’s players’ to gain the necessary experience, skills and form to be contenders for both the Provincial and National Teams – as long as they have the drive, desire and passion to be playing at these levels! Commitments that will have to be the responsibility of theirs alone!
Noting that 2019 was ground breaking and exciting, but that 2020 will be an even more awesome year for cricket in the City’s of Brampton & Etobicoke, Persaud has further encouraged all of the League’s cricketers to fully enjoy, respect and treasure all that has been and will be provided for their benefit.